A website was in need for cartoonist molto to display comic strips, character images, sketches, and doodles. Other necessary requirements were:
- Shareable social buttons for comic pages
- A navigation menu for the comic strip
- A page to display raw doodles and sketches
- An about, archive, and blog page
- A simple contact form
After discussing all the details, we decided that I would create a custom WordPress theme to accomplish all of this.
I began by creating a local environment on my work station, installing WordPress, and activating the Underscores starter theme. I also downloaded and activated WP-SCSS by Connect Think to help compile the SCSS code. From there I designed and developed all but a few aspects of the website, including:
- Coding and designing the comic strip navigation menu
- Animating the navigation menu on mobile devices
- Implementing the social share buttons for comic strips
- Developing an archive page to list both comic strips and blog posts
- Styling the header, footer, each section, and each page
- Disabling the WordPress search, author, and category pages
There are also a few necessary plugins. The doodles page consists of Instagram Feed by Smash Balloon. It gathers and display images from molto’s Instagram account. This plugin was modified with some slight styling changes. The contact form on the about page is Contact Form 7 by Takayuki Miyoshi. This plugin too contains small styling changes.
All screen shots were captured on July 4th, 2018Click here to view moltoDESTROYED